on 4/2/04 1:15 PM, Kurt Bigler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is regarding qmail + vpopmail 5.3.12 running under tcpserver, on
> FreeBSD 4.6.1.
>
> My server was bouncing *everything* with 5.7.1, that is including stuff that
> should have been delivered to domains hosted by my server.
>
> I panicked and just rebooted my server (because reboot is very quick and it
> is the most reliable way to fix a bunch of things quickly without having to
> take time to identify a problem), and thus lost some of the evidence.
>
> But I am suspicious based on previous expeirences that if a certain process
> dies that some process starts responding to all smtp requests with 5.7.1.
> Or is there any other obvious reason why qmail might go into a permanent
> 5.7.1 mode?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts, and sorry to be so lacking in info.  I did do a
> quick ps when I discovered the problem and I'm pretty sure that the
> tcpserver process involving qmail-smtpd was probably not there.  I only
> remembered it should have been there after rebooting and doing another ps.
> Is there some default mode for smtp connections that takes over under such a
> circumstance?
>
> Thanks,
> Kurt Bigler

I confirmed that if I kill this process (line from ps output):

  qmaild    86243  0.0  0.1   904  360  ??  SNJ   3:05PM   0:00.09
    tcpserver -v -H -R -lvps.breathsense.com -x
    /var/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c200 -u1003 -g1001 0 25 fixcrio
    /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

that incoming SMTP attempts are greeted by a 5.7.1 error.

Does anyone understand how this happens?

Thanks,
Kurt Bigler