On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 04:32, Miguel A. Molina - jurbo wrote:
> Since I'm trying to install qmail with vpopmail-5.4.x series I'm
> geeting the same errors.

'same errors' .... as what?

> Versions:
> qmail-1.03 + qmailqueue-patch + qmail-smtpd-auth-0.4.2
> vpopmail-5.4.3

ok.

> vchkpw-pop3 is ok, if a wrong user/password is introduced, you can't
> get in and view your emails.

ok.

> BUT :-( vchkpw-smtp is not running ok. With not valid user/password, I
> get this error:
>
> vpopmail[8791]: vchkpw-smtp: password fail (pass: 'j')
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:192.168.100.115

looks like the password failed.

> and then, it send the email:

no, your mail client tried even though it didn't authenticate.

If you're using a sensible client that tries all of the advertised
authentication methods (from the EHLO command response), then it's
probably failing the cram-md5, and authenticating with AUTH PLAIN or
AUTH LOGIN, or, failing all of those, it's trying to send it anyways,
but you have in your tcprules cdb file to allow that IP to relay, and
it's going through.

> #!/bin/sh
> QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl" export QMAILQUEUE
> VPOPUID=`id -u vpopmail`
> VPOPGID=`id -g vpopmail`
> MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
> exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 30000000 /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -H -R -l 0 -c \
> "$MAXSMTPD" -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$QMAILGID" 0 \
> smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /bin/true 2>&1

try tossing a recordio in there and watching the smtp conversation.
Money says your MUA is trying authentication methods until one works.

So your 'problem' is actually a non-problem.

If you don't have clear passwords enabled, cram-md5 can't work, so you
should probably edit qmail-smtpd.c and look for the #define near the top
that tells the patch to say "hey, we can do cram-md5" and comment it
out.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Kitchen