On Monday 26 April 2004 10:42 am, Steve Ames wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:18:09AM -0400, Chris Ess wrote:
> > > vpopmail was created for qmail only, postfix and qmail are two
> > > different MTA's so this is not a solution you can use with postfix.
> >
> > See this sentence from http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail.html :
>
> You can do it. But basically you need to install postfix and qmail
> and postfix just handles some of the MTA duties. MDA is still qmail.

MDA with vpopmail is actually never qmail.

qmail hands off delivery responsbilities to vdelivermail through
the .qmail-default file in the domain's 'home directory'

> It would really be interesting to see vpopmail make the necessary
> changes to be less qmail specific. Vpopmail could become a solid
> virtual mail solution for a handful of MTA.

so, bloat should be added so it will work with MTAs it wasn't designed for?  I
disagree.

> Qmail is a minority when it comes to MTA deployment.

I disagree there also.  qmail is probably the second most, if not the most,
deployed MTA across the internet, and many different surveys have gone to
show this.  Also, this is WITH most new redhat installations coming with
sendmail installed (and enabled) by default, which would skew this number, as
sendmail might be running but it's not necessarily doing anything.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Kitchen
Systems Administrator