Steve Ames wrote:

Qmail is a minority when it comes to MTA deployment.

I disagree there also. qmail is probably the second most, if not the

most,

deployed MTA across the internet, and many different surveys have gone to
show this.

Without pointing to DJB's website, care to back this up?

http://cr.yp.to/surveys/smtpsoftware6.txt
That's from 2001.

It would be a fun project to try to do that again, though.
The biggest challenge will probably be to get a representative sample of domains and MXs

Lastly we aren't talking about general deployment but deployment by those
entities who might wish to have virtualized e-mail and multiple domains.

Yes, and it's with those where there's no alternative to qmail and vpopmail.
At least, through a brief search of freshmeat, sf.net and google, I couldn't find anything that comes near vpopmail+qmailadmin+vqadmin+qmail.

The problem with qmail is that it's not really developed any further. But given that, it has surprisingly little security-holes found ;-)
But the applications more or less dictate the choice of the underlying platform.
And the choice could be much worse.

Also, this is WITH most new redhat installations coming with
sendmail installed (and enabled) by default, which would skew this number,

as

sendmail might be running but it's not necessarily doing anything.

And not just redhat. Other linux and BSD varients come with sendmail. One that I know of comes with postfix.

SuSE

I don't know any that come with qmail.

I don't think anyone will do that.

There's also a lot more Exchange out there these days.

Yes, but people usually put proxies and paketfilters before that. At least, if they are not completely stupid (or ill-advised).

It's very difficult (impossible?) to account for the usage of a MTA, when most of them are now hidden behind AV-gateways.
Also: what do you count ? Just "handling" or actual mailboxes ?
It's an endless debate.

And until someone comes up with a real cool solution that allows to use postfix as a hosting-platform without writing everything from scratch, qmail and vpopmail are just going to stay around.
Unless all those hosted MSFT-Exchange-crap (calendar, groupware) kills it.
Unfortunately, OSS-equivalents of these don't work very well, yet. And they don't scale, I'm afraid.

Rainer