Hello, I have spent two hours debugging why neither local or virtual users
can log into a mail system via pop.
I have now found the answer, but it was very obscure and yet obvious.
echo '#!/bin/sh' > /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d/run
echo 'PATH=/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin' >>
echo 'export PATH' >> /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d/run
echo 'exec tcpserver -H -R -v -c100 0 110 qmail-popup '$FQDN' \\' >>
echo '/home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1' >>
The above is a segment of a script that I use to create the run file. Myself
being a C person found it hard to spot the error until I decided to run the
tcpserver with logging output to the console so I can see whats going on.
The users could then login without problem.
So I rebooted. Users could not log in. Then I looked at the process table to
see that a '\\' appearing after the domain name.
Once I changed the \\ to \ the script was then fine, and no authorization