Michael Bellears wrote:

Complicating things (apparently) is that our mail server is separate from the Web server on which we provide clients' virtual hosts:

That doesn't complicate things, it simplifies them. I do not want clients updating web files on my mail server. You will want an instance of Apache running on the mail server, but don't allow anyone who is not a mail administrator any access to the files.

I don't know if this will be applicable in your environment, but
qmailadmin (http://www.inter7.com/qmailadmin.html) has mailing list
management functionalities.

I second that suggestion, not only does it simplify management of mailing lists, it also manages mailboxes, forwards, and mail robots.
The most current version is found on SourceFORGE:

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/qmailadmin/