Title: Re: [vchkpw] qmail & mysql

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 17:22, Jeremy Kitchen wrote:
> On Thursday 24 June 2004 05:08 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > We run eight qmail servers with one main server that stores the
> client data
> > and acts as the main mysql server. We have a backup server to the
> main
> > server that replicates the mysql DBs. The six additional qmail
> servers
> > connect to these servers as the mysql server. The primary mysql
> server
> > performs all queries that make changes to the DBs and the backup
> server
> > executes all select queries. I am wondering if we are better off
> > replicating the mysql DBs to each qmail server (six of them) and
> performing
> > the sql select queries locally rather than over the network.
>
> it's a little more headache to administer the mysql stuff, but
> definitely a
> better setup.  I've done this with several customers and it works
> fine.
>
> -Jeremy
>
> --
> Jeremy Kitchen ++ Systems Administrator ++ Inter7 Internet
> Technologies, Inc.
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] ++ www.inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 847.492.0470
> int'l
>         kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail

I must agree with Jeremy, with one small caveat. Absolutely do not
attempt this with the MySQL 3.23.x branch. When replication breaks (in
my 6 server setup it breaks about once a month on one server, so not bad
at all), the ability to execute "load data from master; start slave;" is
very, very worth while.
Overall though the architecture you're suggesting, and Jeremy and I have
both setup, is absolutely the best for a setup like yours.
Hope that helps,
Nick Harring