On Jul 9, 2004, at 12:08 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:
Out of curiousity, what has changed? My current super-patch-pack for
qmail was quite difficult to put together, so I'm a litle hesitant to try
and get the newer smtp-auth patches into that mess. Is there any way to
continue with the old patch? What exactly has changed on the vpopmail
side that breaks the old patch?

The method of passing the CRAM-MD5 challenge and response from qmail-smtpd to vchkpw has varied in different releases of the SMTP AUTH patch to qmail-smtpd and the code if vchkpw.

Someone, somewhere determined the proper order (based on documentation, perhaps related to the chkpasswd(?) program used on non-vpopmail systems) and the latest (0.42) SMTP AUTH patch and the code in vpopmail 5.4.0 were both fixed.

You should be able to apply your super-patch-pack, then unpatch (patch -r?) your original SMTP AUTH patch and then apply the latest patch.

And is there anything else I should be aware of when upgrading? Like I
said, I didn't see anything major in the changelogs, but I'd still like to
get some feedback from anyone who's made the jump to 5.4.x from 5.3.30.

Hard to say. We started using an external file (~vpopmail/etc/vpopmail.mysql) to store MySQL settings instead of having them hard-coded in vmysql.h. If you've read through the ChangeLog entries, you should have seen any critical issues. We started supporting valiases in MySQL fully in vpopmail and qmailadmin (so you can replace aliases, forwards and autoresponders in .qmail-alias files with MySQL table entries).

Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]