On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Tom Collins wrote:

> The method of passing the CRAM-MD5 challenge and response from
> qmail-smtpd to vchkpw has varied in different releases of the SMTP AUTH
> patch to qmail-smtpd and the code if vchkpw.

Just a quick note, perhaps this should be in the CHANGELOG or something.
The new TLS/auth patch has a build target called "tmprsadh".  As far as I
can tell, this target was not in the old patch.  If you do not
specifically do a "make tmprsadh", you'll find that your TLS connections
take forever to setup; so long that it may appear that something is
broken.  It's not, it's just some insanely slow encryption process going
on.  Once you make the target above, you get these additional files in
/var/qmail/control:

-rw-rw----   1 vpopmail  qmail   245 Jul 13 01:56 dh1024.pem
-rw-rw----   1 vpopmail  qmail   156 Jul 13 01:51 dh512.pem
-rw-rw----   1 vpopmail  qmail   493 Jul 13 01:51 rsa512.pem

While I don't understand enough about TLS/SSL to explain it, having these
files speeds things up quite a bit.

Charles