--- Jeremy Kitchen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't understand why you're so concerned with having the pop3 server run as
> root.  qmail-popup has no remote root holes (at least stock, which is what
> most people use, as I don't think there are any patches out there that
> directly affect qmail-popup other than maybe the errno patch) and unless your
> checkpassword replacement (in this case, vchkpw) has any (which, I've never
> heard of :), I don't see the need for concern.

That's very good advice. I think I may eventually switch back. It always just bugged
me a bit that
it was running as root when I was able to run qmail-smtp as non-root. But you are
right, any
attempt to allow non-root system accounts would just cause even more secure issues due
to all the
non-standard changes I'd have to make. I guess I'm just paranoid :)

Thanks!

H.