Hi,

Here is something we built into vpopmail for sites like yours.

Use mysql on the email server. Have the billing system
insert an entry in the vpopmail table, leaving the directory
field blank. vpopmail will automatically create the users
directory and update the database when any program
tries to deliver mail to the user, or authenticate as the user.

If the mysql connection fails, write the user information to
a flat file. Then have a cron job check for updates to the
file and send them over to the mysql server when it becomes
available.

Hope that helps,
Ken Jones