Chris Ess wrote:

Dave Goodrich wrote:

Since we changed to use mysql auth I have been getting complaints from
users having to enter their password more than once. This is not
consistant, it doesn't happen every time. It seems most prevelent for
users of Eudora or old Outlook Express. Outlook, Netscape Mail, and
Thunderbird do not seem to be having a problem.

Correction, Outlook Express is working, Outlook is not.

What are they using as their login ID?   I use the email address with a
'%' rather than a '@'. (For instance, if the email address I was sending
was a real user, I would use inter7%cae.tokimi.net )
I believe it works both ways, but I am certain all the techs setup the users with %, I can ask the support staff.

My MySQL db is on another server dedicated to serving MySQL connections
to vpopmail and spamc. Plenty of resources, queries per second is only
4.3, threads 11, I have a dual Sparc Enterprize 450 with 2gb of ram.
100mb duplex ether between the mailservers and the db that is used for
nothing but the mysql connection and NFS to the maildirs. I have my
key_buffer=128M and my table_cache=128. Top says I am at a whopping load
of .8.

Not that it matters much but... Nice hardware. :)

I just finished upgrading to to 5.4.6 and the problem remains. I've
googled and searched the maillist, anyone have a clue?

Uh oh, not a single response? I'm having users call in with consistant problems, login failures, having to re-enter their password each time they check mail. I can see the logs tell me that the "user doesn't exist" when this happens. Yet resending the login works.

Has anyone else seen this? Got any idea where I might look next?

"User doesn't exist" sounds like it might be caused by a communication
issue between vchkpw and MySQL.  I'm not 100% sure.  I have never
experienced this issue myself.
This is what I believe as well, which is why I upgraded to 5.4.6. I am looking into possible MySQL issues though I don't think resources is a problem.

Thanks,

DAve

--
Systems Administrator