Grimes, David wrote:
Hello all,

New user/abuser here...

1. Last night, due to a problem with a corporate mail server, my mail
server got flooded with ~20k emails. It tried like heck to chew through them
but the poor little machine just wasn't havin' it. My setup is a gentoo box
running vpopmail, qmail, qmail-scanner, spamassassin, -prot, and courier-et
al. with the latest packages as of yesterday. I have two questions 1.
Outside of better hardware what are some things I should do to the software
config to better equip it for things? Switches, etc...

What do you have now for hardware?

What version of SA are you running?

What extra rules are your running in SA?

How many messages do you normally handle a day?

I have found that when getting blasted to the extent that it becomes a hardware issue, turning off SA until you can get the queue cleared helps quite a bit.

If you are doing Razor lookups in SA, stop. I've not found Razor to make a difference in spam caught compared to to the network and system resources it consumes.

If you are doing RBL lookups in SA, stop. RBL lookups are considerably faster with qmail and saves you having to process a message that you later would dump when it gets to SA anyway. Example; I move 40k to 50k inbound messages a day, 65k+ of those I dropped at the smtp level via qmail. If I had used RBL lookups in SA I would have over doubled my SA load.

Number two, this
message appeared quite often last night. What exactly is it telling me?

It has been my experience,

someone/anyone correct me if I am wrong,

but you A) need to upgrade to 5.4.6 as there were changes to the SQL code or B) your MySQL connection was timing out.

It seemed to me that those errors went away here when I gave MySQL more resources. Of course, YMMV, and I could be just a nut ;^)

DAve

I realize this email is vague and poorly worded so any comments, questions, and suggestions to further the discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DG

@40000000415240cb09be3594 delivery 3013: success:
vmysql:_sql_error[1]:_Can't_create_database_'vpopmail'._Database_exists/vmys
ql:_sql_error[3]:_No_Database_Selected/could_not_create_limits_table_CREATE_
TABLE_limits_(_domain_CHAR(64)_PRIMARY_KEY,_______maxpopaccounts___________I
NT(10)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_-1,_______maxaliases_______________INT(10)_NOT_NULL_
DEFAULT_-1,_______maxforwards______________INT(10)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_-1,_____
s__________INT(10)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_-1,_______diskquota________________INT(1
2)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______maxmsgcount______________INT(12)_NOT_NULL_DEFAU
LT_0,_______defaultquota_____________INT(12)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______defau
ltmaxmsgcount_______INT(12)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______disable_pop___________
___TINYINT(1)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______disable_imap_____________TINYINT(1)_
NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______disable_dialup___________TINYINT(1)_NOT_NULL_DEFAU
LT_0,_______disable_passwordchanging_TINYINT(1)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______di
sable_webmail__________TINYINT(1)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______disable_relay___
_________TINYINT(1)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______disable_smtp_____________TINYI
NT(1)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______perm_account_____________TINYINT(2)_NOT_NULL
_DEFAULT_0,_______perm_alias_______________TINYINT(2)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,___
____perm_forward_____________TINYINT(2)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______perm_autor
esponder_______TINYINT(2)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______perm_maillist___________
_TINYINT(4)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______perm_quota_______________TINYINT(2)_NO
T_NULL_DEFAULT_0,_______perm_defaultquota________TINYINT(2)_NOT_NULL_DEFAULT
_0_)/vmysql:_sql_error[p]:_No_Database_Selected/user_does_not_exist,_but_wil
l_deliver_to_/var/vpopmail/domains/thegrimesfamily.net/test//did_0+0+1/

-- Systems Administrator http://www.tls.net Get rid of Unwanted Emails...get TLS Spam Blocker!