On Oct 23, 2004, at 11:22 AM, Jeremy Kitchen wrote:

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 18:57 -0300, Walter Souto R. Junior wrote:
Thanks Tom and Jeremy,

I do fix my run file for smtp, but now I have a "501 malformed auth input
(#5.5.4)" using telnet. I'm also trying with Opera with plain, auth and
cram-md5 without success. My run file looks like:

#!/bin/sh

LOCAL=`head -1 /var/qmail/control/me`

QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`

Can the qmaild user read your vpopmail information? I certainly hope
not. This is why you are unabled to authenticate. Now, go fix this and
disable your open relay.

-Jeremy

I agree with jeremy. I took the patch that vpopmail provides in its contrib dir, and made it one big rolled in one patch file, instead of seperate files. This patch requires no hostname in the qmail-smtpd run file;

in your qmail source dir just do the following:

wget http://www.bsdguides.org/downloads/freebsd/qmail-smtpd-auth.patch (It is used in a guide of mine, but it is for stock qmail)
patch < qmail-smtpd-auth.patch

Then edit your qmail-smtpd run file to run it as A) root, or B) vpopmail (I personally do root, stops all the permissions crap from sneaking in), and then add ~vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /bin/true right after the call to qmail-smtpd.

Don't add a hostname anywhere at all, and you are set.

X-Istence