On Oct 23, 2004, at 4:16 PM, Erwin Hoffmann wrote:
This is a very old story.

Pls. visit: http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/smtpauth.html

Essentially, with all the disturbed discussion, I'ld like to conclude:

- Putting the hostname in the call of qmail-smtpd for SMTP Authentication
conforms to the use of qmail-popup/qmail-pop3f, however

- forgetting the hostname in there leaves the SMTP server "open", wheres

- dropping the requirement for the hostname yields (in worst condition) an
error message to the client.

Thus, my implementation of the SMTP Authentication for Qmail (apart from
the many bug-fixes) is fail save. As outlined, technically there is *NO*
need to include a hostname in the call of the PAM; even not for qmail-popup
- it's simply historic.

regards.
--eh.

Hello,

Just to let you know, i was just pointing the person to a patch that would do what they wanted without the hostname. I have visited your site before, and have read it's entire contents, and I know that you don't need the hostname. Also, the patch i described is part of the vpopmail distribution, and i was just presenting it in an alternate form.

I am sorry if your message was towards someone else on the mailling list, but i am rather offended by the thought that you meant me, and thus thought that i did not have the knowledge that it is historic and not needed.

J-W