Alastair,

main difference between 2.0.5 and 2.0.7, speaking only about sender checking, is related to NULL SENDER (<>), now accepted by default, while previously it was accepted only if its IP had a corresponding DNS name. This (default) change makes more messages accepted.

Can you check if you have the variable SENDER_NOCHECK (#define CHKUSER_SENDER_NOCHECK_VARIABLE) set in some way?

Otherwise please post your qmail-smtpd starting script and your chkuser_settings.h (if message is too long post it privately).

Tonino