Alastair Battrick wrote:
I have had chkuser 2.0.5 installed for a few weeks, and it has been working as I expected it to, on the whole.

I've applied the patches for 2.0.7 and made the qmail-smtpd binary. When I try and run the binary with ./qmail-smtpd I am not getting an error message when I 'MAIL FROM' a non existent domain or from an invalid email address. The previous version gives a "571 sorry, sender address has invalid format (#5.7.1 - chkuser)"

I've discovered the problem with this. Using "MAIL FROM" without the colon, results in a null sender. This bit of code in chkuser.c accepts the email address as it is null:

#if defined CHKUSER_ACCEPT_NULL_SENDER
        if (sender->len <= 1)
                return CHKUSER_OK;

This is a comparison:

[root]# ./qmail-smtpd
220 mail.datasnake.co.uk ESMTP
MAIL FROM [EMAIL PROTECTED]
250 ok

[root]# ./qmail-smtpd
220 mail.datasnake.co.uk ESMTP
MAIL FROM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
511 sorry, can't find a valid MX for sender domain (#5.1.1 - chkuser)

In chkuser 2.0.5 ommiting the colon would have been picked up with a "571 sorry, sender address has invalid format (#5.7.1 - chkuser)" error

I guess I want to know, is *this* a feature or a bug :)

Cheers
Alastair