Bill Wichers wrote:
I recently have been moving user domains from an old qmail+vpopmail server
to a new one due in large part to hugely increased spam filter load
(grumble). Anyway, I found one user with some 5+ GB of presumably all spam
in their postmaster account (which was a catch all). The new box defaults
to "set no catch-all" for exactly this kind of reason...

You could have setup a separate server just for spam filtering, very easy if you are using SA :)

Does anyone know of a way to alleviate this problem without forcing
quotas? Right now we bill on disk space use, and don't set per-user or
per-domain quotas, which is popular with our customers since many of them
routinely send CAD drawings as file attachments.

This is going to be a function of disk speed and the file system underneath. I personally use reiserfs for just this reason on all my maildir disk mounts.

I have approx 42,000 emails in some of my imap folders and access is basically instant, delivery is also very fast and I see no real load avg on the server from this.