Hi guys,

I had qmail-smtp/smtpauth (standard Gentoo install) working fine with
vchkpw previously.

I then decided that I needed to change the user ID for vpopmail to get a
suexec script working as the vpopmail user...

So I stopped qmail, changed the UID and GID from 89 to 1004, and did:
find / -user 89 -print0 | xargs -0 chown 1004
find / -group 89 -print0 | xargs -0 chgrp 1004

This had catastrophic effects after services were restarted.  Nothing that
used vchkpw could authenticate, including qmail-send, qmail-smtpd, and
bincimap.  I struggled for a while to figure out why, but couldn't find
any logical explanation.  So in desperation, I again stopped all running
services, changed the passwd and group files back, and did:
find / -user 1004 -print0 | xargs -0 chown 89
find / -group 1004 -print0 | xargs -0 chown 89

Upon restarting services, I've found that bincimap authenticates okay, and
qmail-send delivers mail (a huge improvement).  However qmail-smtpd cannot
authenticate, and any time I try to send mail I get the "oops, unable to
write to pipe and I can't auth" error.

If I change the password program from /var/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw back to
/bin/checkpassword, I can authenticate and send mail fine, but this is not
acceptable in the long-term as most of my mail users do not have machine

Could anyone advise me as to what might be going wrong here?  Your help is
greatly appreciated!

Casey Allen Shobe