On Nov 29, 2004, at 6:33 PM, John Berliner wrote:

I am a web and application developer who has inherited sysadmin duties for our school's servers. Thus I'm basically a novice. I have scoured the web and mailing lists for clues to solving my problem here, but no luck. So here goes:

Our mail services are all working fine, with the exception of a single user (the heaviest mail user, by far) who has previously had intermittent issues with POPping mail. Now it very rarely succeeds -- and currently, does not succeed at all -- in picking up mail. Using any POP client, we get authentication errors ("vchkpw: password fail" in maillog).

We are running vpopmail 5.2.1 + qmail 1.03 on a FreeBSD 4.6 server. No imap. No inetd/ xinetd, just tcpserver + daemontools...

In the kernel, is UFS_DIRHASH enabled, or whatever the option is? This caused a lot of trouble on another server i admin, where it would be so slow, that at times login sporadically failed. It is enabled by default, and it would be stupid to have been removed, but you never know.

If anything see if it is possible to at least upgrade to the last 4.10 version, as there have been a lot of overall improvements (This is off topic BTW)

Thanks in advance, John Berliner Live Oak School

Also, when you manually auth using pop3:

telnet localhost 110
user <username>
pass <password>
list

What is the output? (Please truncate, if the user has a ton of emails, we don't need the entire list)

Or does it die saying can't scan maildir?

Does this only happen for his account, and have you tried to mv the Maildir,and then /var/qmail/bin/maildirmake Maildir in the same dir, then chowning it to the right user and then trying to login again to see if it succeeds then?

X-Istence