From: "Tom Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "vpopmail list" <vchkpw@inter7.com>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 10:22 PM
Subject: [vpopmail-devel] [vchkpw] Updated vdelivermail available for review

> I've finally uploaded my new vdelivermail code to a patch on
> SourceForge:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
> func=detail&aid=1119741&group_id=85937&atid=577800
>
> It is not intended to be used on machines that handle real world email.
>   I have uploaded it for others to review and test on development
> servers.  It has had limited testing (I confirmed that it was checking
> quotas, updating maildirsize files, and delivering mail properly).
>
> Please provide feedback on any testing you do, to let me know what you
> confirmed as working, and whether anything didn't work as expected.
>
> --
> Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> QmailAdmin: http://qmailadmin.sf.net/  Vpopmail: http://vpopmail.sf.net/
> Info on the Sniffter hand-held Network Tester: http://sniffter.com/

Comments on vdelivermail 5.4.9 + SF patch #1119741

1. Basically, re-written vdelivermail worked as expected and the problem of
delivering messages to non-existent accounts when the domain has an over quota
catchall was fixed!

---

2. After applying the patch, messages delivered to over quota catchalls
resulted in deferrals, leaving them in the Qmail queue. Before the patch, the
standard behavior was to bounce the message with a failure notice. We prefer
the latter, so we suggest to change the following in vdelivermail.c:

FROM: vexiterr (EXIT_DEFER, "user is over quota");
TO: vexiterr (EXIT_BOUNCE, "user is over quota");
ON:     process_valias(), lines 275, 303
        check_forward_deliver(), line 723
        checkuser(), line 922
        usernotfound(), line 983

---

3. Over quota bounce messages are repeating on line:

> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at dcontrol01.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> user is over quota
> user is over quota

This is due to overlapping calls from function vexiterr() -- added by the patch
-- and deliver_mail() (line 563).

---

4. Over quota bounce messages for catchall accounts also need some review:

> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at dcontrol01.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> user does not exist, but will deliver to
/var/vpopmail/domains/c/test.com.br/user2/
> user is over quota
> user is over quota

A possible solution in this case includes a change in function usernotfound(),
inserting:

> printf ("user does not exist, but will deliver to %s\n", bounce);

after deliver_mail() tests.