Charles J. Boening wrote:
>> Paul Theodoropoulos wrote:
>>> is there any way to run chkusr on these 'gateway' MX servers? i use
>>> MySQL authentication. The mysql server is the pop server, and i
>>> replicate that on the primary MX (where the majority of mail comes
>>> in). is there any way to 'hook' into the authentication info in the
>>> replicated database directly? that woudl be ideal, as it should be
>>> quite fast.
>>>
>> This isn't possible with the current version of chkuser. I'm wanting
>> to do the exact same thing. Vpopmail currently needs access to 1) the
>> authentication scheme (MySQL in your case) 2) the file system (to
>> check the ~qmail/control files and .qmail- files for aliases and
>> catchalls)

> If this is the case, why not NFS mount (read-only) the real vpopmail
> directory structure so you can do CHKUSR lookups.  If it's read-only
> then there shouldn't be any impact other than network traffic to the
> real backend server.

This is was thinking about doing. I'm not sure why everybody is replicating
the database and mail structure when you can just export it via NFS
(assuming you're on the local net) and be reading live data. As for the
database, you can configure vpopmail to use any MySQL server when checking.
Just have it call over to it's neighbor instead of checking itself.