| Interestingly, the joeltest account has never lost a message. Whenever | joel.daas claims he did not receive a message, I can find it in joeltest. | | Now my take on this is the users have an issue with their mail clients, | or they are a bit too quick with the delete button. How do I prove it? I | can show where the logs say the message was handed to two programs or | delivered to two files, but I can't prove the user got the message | beyond that. | | I've looked for any patches changes to qmail that might increase my | logging, but no luck. There is a patch and a wrapper for qmail-pop3d but | they only add username to the logging. I believe I need a way to record | the message ID as the user is downloading it. | | The only change prior to this issue arrising has been the use of valias, | but neither of these addresses are aliased. | | I am open to suggestions for next steps, criticisim of my | troubleshooting, etc. | | Thanks, | | DAve |

I think the point you made earlier, is that users make blaringly
obvious mistakes, quite frequently, when using mail clients.  They'll
lose a message in a thread, due a message filter, etc.  We've had
this same type of conversation with admins, etc.  What it comes down
to, aside from technical research of the problem, is that if you're
confident that the message is being delivered, tell them.  If you
can, get on the phone with them, send a message while they're on
the phone.  If they get it, tell them, "Works fine".  This seems
more like a customer management issue at this point, but here are a
few things I'd tell the end-user to do in this situation.  Disable
message filters, sort messages in all folders by date and time,
rather than by thread, and disable any sort of in-client spam filtering
that might be deleting the message automatically or moving it to
a seperate folder.

Hope that helps a bit!

- --
~    Matt Brookings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       GnuPG Key 7D7E5F37
~    Software developer                     Systems technician
~    Inter7 Internet Technologies, Inc.     (815)776-9465

banner("Support open-source!\n");

void banner(char *arg) {
~  char b[50];
~  strcpy(b, arg);