Bill Wichers wrote:

at the bottom of the .qmail file add a:
|/bin/ls -lat /home/vpopmail/domains/xxxxx.com/0/joel.daas/Maildir/
>>/var/log/joel.delivery.log

Excellent! It is always the simple solutions you miss.

You can also telnet into port 110 (pop3), and manually log in and list the
messages. I've done that lots of times when I suspect a mail-client issue
since it's easy to just quick telnet in and see if there are any messages
there. If there aren't any messages, then the logging way is probably
easier unless you want to disable the user's POP3 login for a while to see
if messages build up when the user isn't downloading them.

Yes, I started that way, but unfortunately most of our business clients check pop every 5 minutes. By the time they tell me there is a message missing it is the next day.

What would really be useful would be logging of message IDs in the qmail-send log at delivery, and in the qmail-pop3d log when the message is deleted by the pop client. I could then say, "it was delivered, you popped it and deleted it".

Currently I am logging the deliveries, I have the user removing his filters, stopping his email anti-virus (we already scan for them), and leaving his messages on the server.

Thanks all, we will see what happens the rest of the day.

DAve

-- Dave Goodrich Systems Administrator http://www.tls.net Get rid of Unwanted Emails...get TLS Spam Blocker!