Kurt Bigler said the following on 4/12/2005 6:25 PM:
on 4/12/05 11:22 AM, Aran Clary Deltac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I've been running a dedicated gentoo server for about a year now.  All
e-mail has been handled by qmail and delivered to local user accounts.  I
have the possibility of hosting a client that requires 10k+ e-mail
accounts.  I really don't want to make system accoutns for each e-mail
account, so I found vpopmail.

I just want to make sure I am not doing something dumb.  Here's the
configure I am useing:  (vpopmail 5.4.10)

./configure

You might want to look at using qmailadmin, which is quite a convenience. I use qmailadmin for most things, and use the command line only to create new domains using vadddomain. The rest of the vpopmail setup commands (e.g. adding users) are taken care of qmailadmin.

That's all that comes to mind.  I'm not an old-timer expert, so maybe some
others can chime in, but probably that can get you started.

-Kurt

Having run it on a much smaller scale than you're positioning for, I second the qmailadmin component, and highly recommend vqadmin for much better admin control (easier to confirm and reset passwords, and a few other features.)
If your new 10K+ customer is all one domain, vqadmin might be more of a 'nice to have', but for handling several++ domains, it almost seems like a 'very-nice' to 'must-have' admin tool...including adding new domains, and more control over locking out accounts, managing quotas(if that's working in vpopmail), disabling change password per-user/per-domain, etc. Strong recommendation to look into it.
Good Luck, but you've come to the right place.
Rick

Oh, and I /think/ you can leave your local accounts local, and your new virtual accounts as 'virtual' if you want. Might be simpler than migrating your locals over to being virtual. Look into configuring /var/qmail/control/locals, and /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains, but that may be more appropriate to lurk around the qmail list for a while.