if it is a massive spam, better filter it out with packet filter - iptables, ipchains pf etc, it depends from the OS you're using.

the fastest possible (the command is under linux) way to effective block is with route

route add -host gw

the line in tcp.smtp (and rebuild with qmailctl cdb) also works, but is not as effective as packet filtering - if your server is having a considerable load just to deny the conenctions.

i've been in such trouble - there are guys which are trying to send to womehting like a wordlist of names, one connection per [EMAIL PROTECTED], and the server was about 3 times heavier load than usual - the guy(gal? gay?) was quite fast.

wwell edi

Bernd wrote:

Ok, this might be even faster ;-)

Greets, Bernd