On Apr 15, 2005, at 8:28 PM, Jeff Schmidt wrote:
I'm leaning toward a qmail issue vs. a vpopmail issue, but I admit I
don't know how much vpopmail is involved w/ the smtpd process.

this is the relevant process running on the server:
/usr/bin/tcpserver -p -v -R -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c 40 -u 201 -g 200
0.0.0.0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
mail.dubuquepeterbilt.com /var/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /bin/true

It sounds like you've got two possible things going on.

First, trusted hosts can't relay mail. This is entirely qmail referencing /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb and does not involve vpopmail.

What has changed between the time relaying worked and it didn't work? Did you patch qmail-smtpd in any way?

Can tcpserver read /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb when running as user 201 and group 200?

The second possible problem is that you can't authenticate. If you try a manual session with qmail-smtpd and use AUTH LOGIN or AUTH PLAIN (http://fehcom.de/qmail/qmail.html has info on the command formats, you'll need a base64 encoder to generate the strings).

If SMTP AUTH doesn't work either, you should try checking /var/log/maillog to see if vchkpw is indicating an invalid login.

If both relay and auth are failing, then maybe something has happened to your qmail-smtpd such that it's ignoring the RELAYCLIENT environment variable.

--
Tom Collins - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
QmailAdmin: http://qmailadmin.sf.net/ Vpopmail: http://vpopmail.sf.net/