Am Montag, 25. April 2005 03:55 schrieb Trever Noggle:
> I am not able to get courier-authlib to compile with vpopmail.  i did
> emerge courier-imap and emerge courier-authlib and it always dies at the
> same place.  does anyone have any idea what is causing this.
>
> below is the place where it is failing.
>
> Linking libauthvchkpw.la
> Linking authdaemontest
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/
>ld: /var/vpopmail/lib/libvpopmail.a(vpopmail.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S
> against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC
> /var/vpopmail/lib/libvpopmail.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [libauthvchkpw.la] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/var/tmp/portage/courier-authlib-0.55/work/courier-authlib-0.55'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/var/tmp/portage/courier-authlib-0.55/work/courier-authlib-0.55'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> !!! ERROR: net-libs/courier-authlib-0.55 failed.
> !!! Function src_compile, Line 100, Exitcode 2
> !!! Compile problem
> !!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status
> message.

There was somewhere a thread containing courier-authlib and AMD64 with -fPIC
around in the last days. It was called "compile "vpopmail" with -fPIC on
x86_64". I am not sure if these guys found a solution because on my AMD64 it
works without any problems (I am using an older version) and because of this
I didn't follow this thread...
There is one thing which makes me thinking that the mentioned thread _could_
be the wrong one for you... This is based on one of the error-messages you
posted: " /var/vpopmail/lib/libvpopmail.a: could not read symbols: Bad value"
Did you already install vpopmail? IMHO courier needs some vpopmail-libraries.
Because of the fact, that I installed the whole thing last time about 1 year
ago, I currently don't really remember the order of installations. But maybe
it's a point to have a look for...
Btw: IMHO the ebuilds for qmail, vpopmail and courier provided by Gentoo
aren't very good. After having some troubles while using them, I installed
these thing completely by hand.
<irony>
Maybe you want to ask Jeremy Kitchen from Inter7 for his opinion about the
mentioned ebuilds.
</irony>
NB: Jeremy IS using Gentoo and very deep into qmail, vpopmail and these
things...

Just my $ 0.05

Greetings from Switzerland
Tobias