On Monday 25 April 2005 11:04 am, Trever Noggle wrote:
> Matt Brookings wrote:
> >
> > Tobias Orlamuende wrote:
> >
> > the

> > R_X86_64_32S

> > | There was somewhere a thread containing courier-authlib and AMD64 with
> >
> > - -fPIC
> >
> > | around in the last days. It was called "compile "vpopmail" with
> >
> > -fPIC on
> >
> > | x86_64". I am not sure if these guys found a solution because on my
> >
> > AMD64 it
> >
> > | works without any problems (I am using an older version) and because
> >
> > of this
> >
> > | I didn't follow this thread...
> > | There is one thing which makes me thinking that the mentioned thread
> >
> > _could_
> >
> > | be the wrong one for you... This is based on one of the error-messages
> >
> > you
> >
> > | posted: " /var/vpopmail/lib/libvpopmail.a: could not read symbols: Bad
> >
> > value"
> >
> > | Did you already install vpopmail? IMHO courier needs some
> >
> > vpopmail-libraries.
> >
> > | Because of the fact, that I installed the whole thing last time about
> >
> > 1 year
> >
> > | ago, I currently don't really remember the order of installations. But
> >
> > maybe
> >
> > | it's a point to have a look for...
> > | Btw: IMHO the ebuilds for qmail, vpopmail and courier provided by
> >
> > Gentoo
> >
> > | aren't very good. After having some troubles while using them, I
> >
> > installed
> >
> > | these thing completely by hand.
> > | <irony>
> > | Maybe you want to ask Jeremy Kitchen from Inter7 for his opinion about
> >
> > the
> >
> > | mentioned ebuilds.
> > | </irony>
> > | NB: Jeremy IS using Gentoo and very deep into qmail, vpopmail and these
> > | things...
> >
> > Yes.  Jeremy got me using Gentoo as well.  What you learn very quickly
> > is that ebuilds aren't so great for certian things.  You should avoid
> > the qmail, vpopmail, etc ebuilds like the plague.  As far as the courier
> > option, you probably should edit the Makefile, and add -fPIC to the
> > compiler options.
> >
> > Good luck!
> > - --
> > /*
> > ~    Matt Brookings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       GnuPG Key 7D7E5F37
> > ~    Software developer                     Systems technician
> > ~    Inter7 Internet Technologies, Inc.     (815)776-9465
> > */
> >
> > banner("Support open-source!\n");
> >
> > void banner(char *arg) {
> > ~  char b[50];
> > ~  strcpy(b, arg);
> > ~  printf(b);
> > }

> If you do this without the ebuilds how do you avoid other  items being
> installed such at ssmtp it appears that this is installed by default.
> you have to unmerge it in order to emerge qmail.  how do you keep it
> [...]

gentoo has a mechanism for 'faking' the installation of a package.

unmerge ssmtp and mark either qmail or ssmtp as installed
in /etc/portage/profile/package.provided

-Jeremy

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] ++ inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 815.776.9465 int'l
      kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet IRC ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail
         GnuPG Key ID: 481BF7E2 ++ jabber:[EMAIL PROTECTED]