Hi,

I have IMAP authentication working for vpopmail and standard linux users, but I have a problem with SMTP authentication.

I need SMTP authentication to work for standard linux users (I'm not worried about vpop users at all for SMTP-AUTH). I have built my box using the instructions on Shupp.org (Bill Schupp). I understand that Bill's toaster incorporates a Qmail AUTH patch but when I try to login it doesn't work:

Escape character is '^]'.
220 blue.x-rm.com ESMTP
ehlo localhost
250-blue.x-rm.com
250-STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 0
250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
auth login
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
bmljaw==
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
<base64 encoded password>
535 authentication failed (#5.7.1)

I also have this line in /var/log/maillog

May 16 20:56:23 blue vpopmail[22654]: vchkpw-smtp: vpopmail user not found nick@:127.0.0.1

..which implies that perhaps it's only looking for vpopmail users rather than /etc/passwd users.

I would like it to work for /etc/passwd users only, or both vpopmail AND /etc/passwd users - whichever is easier.

Can someone please give me some pointers on how I can fix this problem so that normal shell account users can authenticate.

Thanks,

Nick...