On Wednesday 18 May 2005 01:26 pm, Payal Rathod wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 01:15:22PM -0500, Jeremy Kitchen wrote:
> > don't use vpopmail's roaming-users functionality if you want
> > pop-before-smtp authentication, use Bruce Guenter's relay-ctrl
> > package.
>
> Any particular reason why?

vpopmail's roaming-users support is poorly designed, slow, and prone to
failure.

relay-ctrl is not, and is even, in fact, safe to use over NFS (I've done it)

> > However, I wouldn't even use pop-before-smtp.. I would set up SMTP
> > authentication and require that.
>
> His usersuMe too. But his users have grown used to it. I suggested
> starting SMTP-Auth on another port and slowly switching pop-before-smtp
> completely off.

that's what email is so handy for.  You send your users an email telling them
they have to change in their mail clients, and give them a URL with some
pictures and instructions, and notify your support staff about the change,
and train them how to handle the situation.. then send that email every week
for 3 months.  After the 3 months is up, shut pop-before-smtp off.

-Jeremy

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] ++ inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 815.776.9465 int'l
      kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet IRC ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail
         GnuPG Key ID: 481BF7E2 ++ jabber:[EMAIL PROTECTED]