Tom Collins writes:
 > Keep in mind that qmail, vpopmail, courier and other programs all
 > implement the same "maildirquota" methods.  You would need to make sure
 > an improved system either doesn't break the other programs, or can be a
 > drop-in replacement for the old code.

Alas, these calls are intrinsically not thread-safe, so the API into
them needs to be changed:

 > >       * vauth_getpw(user, domain)
 > >       * vmaildir_readquota(maildir,
 > >       * format_maildirquota(mypw->pw_shell))

Are you willing to change the way that they're called so that they may
be called from threaded code?  I expect that they'll be called the
same way, but the value they return will be malloc'ed and will thus
need to be freed.  That introduces the least new complication.

Yeah, /me sings the "I've Got a Memory Leak in my Head" song.

Did I ever tell you how much I dislike threading?  Still, software
uses it and, um, it's good practice for writing thread-safe code.

--My blog is at         | If you want to find
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | injustice in economic
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241 cell  | affairs, look for the
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 212-202-2318 VOIP  | hand of a legislator.