I just looked at how many times per day authdaemond logs this:
"received auth request"
it is around 6000 to 7000 times per day.

That's about one every 12 seconds or so. Not a heavy use. In fact, I may have one bad auth per day, so all of those are successful. But I have noticed that the daemons are slowly increasing their memory usage without bounds. They are starting to cause the server to use swapfile space. Here is output from top:

PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU CPU COMMAND 75331 root 4 0 292M 13444K select 1 9:48 0.00% 0.00% authdaemond 75332 root 96 0 292M 13532K select 1 9:47 0.00% 0.00% authdaemond 75329 root 4 0 2128K 88K select 1 0:06 0.00% 0.00% authdaemond

#date ; ls -l /var/run/authdaemond/
Wed Jun 22 20:43:50 CDT 2005
total 2
-rw-r--r--  1 root  courier  6 Jun 12 09:13 pid
-rw-------  1 root  courier  0 Jun 12 09:13 pid.lock
srwxrwxrwx  1 root  courier  0 Jun 12 09:13 socket

(Ten days and 586 MB of memory hogging!  Ouch.  And that is 270MB resident.)

Now, the reason I am only running two daemons should be obvious!! I saw how much memory each one used, and I looked for ways to reduce it. So I only run two now. Anyway, does anyone know of a memory leak detector that could find such a problem?

As far as I know, a previous version of authdaemon had no such issue, but I upgraded around May 21, 2005 using the latest in the FreeBSD ports tree. I only see one change since that date, but that was specific to FreeBSD and the startup script (rc.d). (That may be good, because there was a bug in the "restart" of the one I got in May).

So it seems like I have the 0.56 of the auth package, and I believe that is current.

Thanks for your help,
Billy