On Jun 26, 2005, at 11:05 AM, Billy Newsom wrote:

Billy Newsom wrote:

I just looked at how many times per day authdaemond logs this:
"received auth request"
it is around 6000 to 7000 times per day.
That's about one every 12 seconds or so. Not a heavy use. In fact, I may have one bad auth per day, so all of those are successful. But I have noticed that the daemons are slowly increasing their memory usage without bounds. They are starting to cause the server to use swapfile space. Here is output from top: PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU CPU COMMAND 75331 root 4 0 292M 13444K select 1 9:48 0.00% 0.00% authdaemond 75332 root 96 0 292M 13532K select 1 9:47 0.00% 0.00% authdaemond 75329 root 4 0 2128K 88K select 1 0:06 0.00% 0.00% authdaemond

It got worse.  I just reached 100% swapfile use today.

last pid: 15020; load averages: 0.23, 0.15, 0.17 up 25+07:28:57 09:55:54
139 processes: 1 running, 129 sleeping, 9 zombie

Mem: 299M Active, 55M Inact, 105M Wired, 21M Cache, 60M Buf, 13M Free
Swap: 448M Total, 448M Used, 40K Free, 99% Inuse

PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU CPU COMMAND 75331 root 96 0 393M 21908K select 1 13:13 0.00% 0.00% authdaemond 75332 root 96 0 393M 21976K select 0 13:13 0.00% 0.00% authdaemond
75329 root 4 0 2128K 80K select 0 0:08 0.00% 0.00% authdaemond

That's now 788MB of memory use. The web server uses 14MB, and imapd is under 100MB. I just restarted authdaemond. I guess I'm going to run a script that shuts it down nightly and brings it back up.


#date ; ls -l /var/run/authdaemond/
Wed Jun 22 20:43:50 CDT 2005
total 2
-rw-r--r--  1 root  courier  6 Jun 12 09:13 pid
-rw-------  1 root  courier  0 Jun 12 09:13 pid.lock
srwxrwxrwx  1 root  courier  0 Jun 12 09:13 socket
(Ten days and 586 MB of memory hogging! Ouch. And that is 270MB resident.) Now, the reason I am only running two daemons should be obvious!! I saw how much memory each one used, and I looked for ways to reduce it. So I only run two now. Anyway, does anyone know of a memory leak detector that could find such a problem? As far as I know, a previous version of authdaemon had no such issue, but I upgraded around May 21, 2005 using the latest in the FreeBSD ports tree. I only see one change since that date, but that was specific to FreeBSD and the startup script (rc.d). (That may be good, because there was a bug in the "restart" of the one I got in May). So it seems like I have the 0.56 of the auth package, and I believe that is current.
Thanks for your help,

Look and see if you have the time to check with "valgrind" if you can find the error. It is in the ports tree, and looks for memory leakage by programs.

Hope you find what the problem is.

Note: I am not using authdaemond myself.
Jan-Willem Regeer
This message is authored under the license which can be found at http://x-istence.com/LICENSE

Attachment: smime.p7s
Description: S/MIME cryptographic signature

Reply via email to