Patrick,

if your reference is lifewithqmail like me just set your
/service/qmail-smtpd/run similar to this
sorry for my bad english since i'm not a native english speaker.

#!/bin/bash
export LOCALMFCHECK=""
export MFDNSCHECK=""
export HELOCHECK=""
export QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl"
#QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
#NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
QMAILDUID=89
NOFILESGID=89
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
LOCAL=`head -1 /var/qmail/control/me`
if [ -z "$QMAILDUID" -o -z "$NOFILESGID" -o -z "$MAXSMTPD" -o -z "$LOCAL" ];
the
    echo QMAILDUID, NOFILESGID, MAXSMTPD, or LOCAL is unset in
    echo /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run
    exit 1
fi
if [ ! -f /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts ]; then
    echo "No /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts!"
    echo "Refusing to start SMTP listener because it'll create an open
relay"
    exit 1
fi
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 66000000 \
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -H -v -R -l "$LOCAL" -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c
"$MAXSMTPD" \
   -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp rblsmtpd -r relays.ordb.org -r
dnsbl.
sorbs.net -r bl.spamcop.net \
                  /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
/usr/bin/
true 2>&1