[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I have a fairly new installation of Qmail running, and when it works, it works great. But, from time to time it will begin to "time out". There are zero error messages appearing in any of the logs /var/log/messages or /var/log/qmail. All services are running A packet sniffer shows the entire session going as what would appear to be normal. I receive the final POP Request: QUIT packet and the mail server replying POP Response: +OK Though the mail will not leave Outlook This is a LAN wide issue on all workstations. The only thing that looks out of the nor is in my running processes that are listed below from doing a ps -aux Note: network issue are ruled out. The network is entirely Cisco and wide open on the inside and confirmed error free at router and switching level. This error occurs when trying to send mail only and can be quickly band-aided by running a restore script of the master configuration from weeks back. Surely you can see this as being a pain. This problem occurs daily MY ps -aux vpopmail 4417 0.0 0.2 3500 1176 ? S 00:05 0:00 /var/qmail/bin/qm qscand 4418 0.0 0.7 8984 3988 ? S 00:05 0:00 /usr/bin/perl -T vpopmail 4476 0.0 0.2 3500 1376 ? S 00:19 0:00 /var/qmail/bin/qm qscand 4477 0.0 0.9 9664 4780 ? S 00:19 0:00 /usr/bin/perl -T

Are you running some kind of perl-based filter forking or starting for every message? This is a sure way to bring any production system down.

Alex.