> That's actually very good. I'd make a cron job to check the db
entries.
> then
> every five minutes it would write the dot qmail files based on what
the db
> says. btw how's horde working out. I was thinking of using it.
>
> More on the script, the script should write indevidual dot qmailfiles
for
> each user in their home dirs that way compatability with qmailadmin
isn't
> broken.
> >
> > >Okay I'll try to spell it out for you
> >
> > You spell very well ;)
> >
> > Do you think it would work if I wrote a program to check if the
> recipient
> > has an autoresponder entry in the DB, and if they do, do an
> autoresponder
> > thing.
> >
> > So I'm thinking that the qmail-default could look something like
> > |checkforawaymessage
> > |vdelivermail etc...
> >
> > That way, I'd never have to edit the users .qmail file.

I'd flip this around, since having a cronjob leaves a window where users
will get behavior they don't want/expect. The way we do it in our
environment (with a custom webmail interface) is that when a user sets
up a vacation we place an entry in our central DB which drives the web
interface, and then build the .qmail immediately so that it immediately
begins working.
We basically built a replacement for qmailadmin which uses a simple http
based request/response system for creating/deleting/modifying user
accounts. BTW, we also use this  same scheme for things like
spamassassin thresholds and white/black lists. If people are interested
I can check with our legal department about whether I can share the
code, however its really pretty trivial to implement in
perl/php/python/etc.

Nick Harring
System Administrator
Parus Interactive