OK, I see what you're talking about. It isn't part of the C99 standard and I haven't seen it in other code before.

I am very hesitant to include your patch in the main vpopmail distribution though. I tried to make a very simple, reliable function for creating SQL queries, and I think the %2$s notation adds unnecessary complexity.

Can you let me know the exact place in the code you needed to use it? Could we re-work the queries in some way to allow for a single order that works for both variations without a special format string?