howdy-

while answering a question for somebody on another mailing list i happened to notice that, at least as of vpopmail 5.4.10, the structure of the "valias" table created in a mysql database does not have any provision for sequencing the entries attached to a given alias.

in many cases this shouldn't make a difference, but occasionally somebody may do filtering or something similar, where the sequence that the items are processed is important. (i'm doing this with my own .qmail file to sort mailing list traffic into separate folders.)

first, how does the vdelivermail program decide in which order to process the entries when there are multiple records? does it use them in the order that mysql delivers them? and if so, does mysql have any guaranteed order that it will present the records with an explicit ORDER BY clause in the query?

second, if a user has one or more existing valias records, the "valias -i" command would seem to work by sending an INSERT query with the new line. is the new line added to the beginning of the sequence, the end of the sequence, or is there in fact no guaranteed sequence at all?

i wanted to ask this here before reporting it as a bug on the sourceforge site.

| John M. Simpson - KG4ZOW - Programmer At Large |
| http://www.jms1.net/           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
| Mac OS X proves that it's easier to make UNIX  |
| pretty than it is to make Windows secure.      |