On Thursday 21 July 2005 02:34, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> > I very much like the vpopmail way of compiling settings into
> > the program.  It is a little more hassle to change your
> > configuration, but it really files on a heavily loaded server.
[...]
> The postgresql driver need not suffer simply because mysql has
> severe limitations.

Rudely replying to myself to add:

The same level of customizeability could be added for MySQL using a
configuration file or compiling things in as they are now, but the
abstraction that stored procedures and views give you is basically
a way to store that configuration within the database, so no
configuration file is needed outside of connection string details.

I imagine that MySQL will probably add this functionality one day a
few years down the road, but it's not there yet.

I think that customizability is very important, because it without
the ability to tie vpopmail in with my centralized password
database, I really have no reason to use the PG support at all.
However I am in full agreement that performance is of the utmost
importance as well.

Cheers,
--
Casey Allen Shobe | http://casey.shobe.info