On 2005-07-22, at 15:06, Andras Kende wrote:

I have a server where I receive about 10000 spam emails / day.

I had set to "Set catchall email deleted" which made it down to 1000 spam a day.

Before was "Set catchall email bounced" but the queue was filling up quickly...

Can you give some advice what is the best way to deal with this situation?

there are several patches out there which will make qmail-smtpd not accept incoming messages for mailboxes which don't exist. the "chkuser" patch seems to be getting the most press at the moment, but i don't like it- if i remember correctly it requires you to build vpopmail before compiling qmail, which seems somehow backwards to me.

another one that i found used a text file full of email addresses, and anything not listed in the file was rejected. sounded like a good idea, except that it had to read the entire text file into memory for every invocation of qmail-smtpd... which means it would be a step backwards for one of my clients (a large ISP with 70K mailboxes.)

i ended up writing my own version of this, but it uses a cdb file instead of a text file. it's part of the combined patch set that i've been doing for the qmailrocks distro, but it's also available as a stand-alone patch against djb's original qmail-1.03.tar.gz source.

http://www.jms1.net/qmail/patches/

if anybody has questions, please don't email me directly. ask them on this list or on the qmailrocks list, and i will answer them on the list... that way everybody gets the benefit of the answers.

| John M. Simpson - KG4ZOW - Programmer At Large |
| http://www.jms1.net/           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
| Mac OS X proves that it's easier to make UNIX  |
| pretty than it is to make Windows secure.      |