-----Original Message-----
From: John Simpson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 2:09 PM
To: vchkpw@inter7.com
Subject: Re: [vchkpw] spam questions general

On 2005-07-22, at 15:06, Andras Kende wrote:

> I have a server where I receive about 10000 spam emails / day.
>
> I had set to "Set catchall email deleted" which made it down to
> 1000 spam a day.
>
> Before was "Set catchall email bounced" but the queue was filling
> up quickly...
>
> Can you give some advice what is the best way to deal with this
> situation?

there are several patches out there which will make qmail-smtpd not
accept incoming messages for mailboxes which don't exist. the
"chkuser" patch seems to be getting the most press at the moment, but
i don't like it- if i remember correctly it requires you to build
vpopmail before compiling qmail, which seems somehow backwards to me.

another one that i found used a text file full of email addresses,
and anything not listed in the file was rejected. sounded like a good
idea, except that it had to read the entire text file into memory for
every invocation of qmail-smtpd... which means it would be a step
backwards for one of my clients (a large ISP with 70K mailboxes.)

i ended up writing my own version of this, but it uses a cdb file
instead of a text file. it's part of the combined patch set that i've
been doing for the qmailrocks distro, but it's also available as a
stand-alone patch against djb's original qmail-1.03.tar.gz source.

http://www.jms1.net/qmail/patches/

if anybody has questions, please don't email me directly. ask them on
this list or on the qmailrocks list, and i will answer them on the
list... that way everybody gets the benefit of the answers.

| John M. Simpson - KG4ZOW - Programmer At Large |
| http://www.jms1.net/           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
| Mac OS X proves that it's easier to make UNIX  |
| pretty than it is to make Windows secure.      |

John,

I did the chkuser patch with the orther patches and just copied over
the new qmail-smtpd file...

Looks like everything working great now.

Microsoft 2003 Outlook crashed its .PST file before because
of the high load of spam :)

Andras Kende
http://www.kende.com