On 2005-08-28, at 0815, Tanmaya Anand wrote:

I would like to know everyone feedback on how you handle old mails say 2 months old.

if it's that old and hasn't been read, i would ask the user why they aren't checking their email, and ask them to check it every so often and delete anything they don't need to keep. (in fact i have done this- but instead of two months, i do it when they hit their quota.)

other than that, i leave it alone. as an ISP, it's not my place to care (or even know) what a user has in their mailbox. i give them a limit- what they do within that limit is their business. if they hit their quota and their mail starts bouncing, that's also their business. that's why i have quotas in the first place.

as for the choice of "two months" as "old"... i have some things in folders within my own inbox which are several years old- and if an ISP came along and arbitrarily decided they were too old, i would be rather upset. (this is actually what made me decide to build my own server in the first place.)

the onwer of the mailbox (i.e. the user who's paying for it) is the only person who should decide what "too old" means, and which messages to keep and delete- not the ISP. the ISP can decide whether or not to keep the mailbox as a whole (i.e. by cancelling the customer's account) but should not have any involvement with individual messages within that mailbox.

Also, how one implements deleting mails, say older than 2 months, from user's mailbox.

as a "system administrator" you should already know how to do this. i'm not writing off your question, but rather than spoon-feeding you an answer, i'll tell you where to look to figure it out for yourself. i know when i have to do the research and figure something out for myself i tend to remember it a lot better- and this is something that you will need to remember.

man find
man rm

| John M. Simpson - KG4ZOW - Programmer At Large |
| http://www.jms1.net/           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
| Mac OS X proves that it's easier to make UNIX  |
| pretty than it is to make Windows secure.      |