De: John Simpson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Enviado el: Domingo, 30 de Octubre de 2005 7:24
Para: vchkpw@inter7.com
Asunto: Re: [vchkpw] How to run multiple qmail-queue

On 2005-10-29, at 1623, Ingo Claro wrote:
> but if you install many qmails in different directories (/var/qmail,
> /var/qmail2, ...) you can have multiple queues.

i understand that. i also understand (from direct experience) that it's an
administrative nightmare, and it's a lot more work than he needs to do in
order to solve the underlying problem.

the point of my original answer was that setting up multiple queues is not
the best solution for the problem that he's having. a much better solution
is to raise the concurrencyremote value, which will create more delivery
slots, making it less likely that any one domain's messages would exhaust
all of the delivery slots before the normal tcpto mechanism decides to
blacklist the non-responsive IP address for an hour (which is why all of the
other domains' mail is stopping on his server.)

but you seem to be an expert on this. rather than trying to sell me on the
idea (you won't, because i don't really care- it's not my
server) why don't you answer the original question? explain to him, in terms
he will understand, how to successfully get two or more copies of qmail
running on the same machine. i'm sure he's waiting for somebody to do just
that, and i'm not going to do it because i don't think it's the right
solution for his problem.

> this way handling different "priority queues"
> depending on the domain...
> for example domain1 and domain2 goes to qmail2 and all the rest to
> qmail3.

out of curiosity, how would you set the relative "priority" of each instance
of qmail-send in relation to the others? what makes one queue "move faster"
than the others?

and if the idea is to have a separate queue for each domain in order to
prevent one domain's mail from interfering with another domain's deliveries,
what is your answer for an ISP whose mail server handles mail for thousands
of domains- would you have them set up a separate instance of qmail for each
domain, so that each domain would have their own queue?

| John M. Simpson - KG4ZOW - Programmer At Large |
| http://www.jms1.net/           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
| Mac OS X proves that it's easier to make UNIX  |
| pretty than it is to make Windows secure.      |