---- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Macdougall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Nicklas Bondesson wrote:
I'm having a hard time getting IMAP before SMTP to work.

It seems like the remote ip address is not visible to get_remote_ip() in
vpopmail. I'm using qmail, vpopmail with a mysql backend and Courier-IMAP
(v3.0.8). Problem:

The remote ip is not inserted into the relay table. If I check the lastauth
table i only get "imap" in the remote_ip field.

Any ideas?

Hi,

It is not possible at all with the 4.x series of Courier-imap. I'm not sure about the 3.x series or maybe Binc Imap.

( http://www.pipeline.com.au/staff/mbowe/isp/webmail-server.htm#ROAMING_USERS )

IMAP-before-SMTP is possible when using Courier-IMAP v3.x. However it only works when configured "--with-authvchkpw --without-authdaemon". When running --without-authdaemon, Courier-IMAP's authvchkpw code is able to make use of vpopmail's roaming user functions to allow IMAP-before-SMTP functionality. IMAP-before-SMTP is not possible when Courier-IMAP has been complied --with-authdaemon, because in this mode the user's IP address is not made available to the authvchkpw code (via the TCPREMOTEIP env var). Also note that in Courier-IMAP v4.x and later, --without-authdaemon functionality is no longer available thus preventing IMAP-before-SMTP from working.

Michael.