On Tuesday 07 February 2006 17:42, Rick Macdougall wrote:
> Jeremy Kitchen wrote:

> >> Just an FYI to the original poster, the new patch does not require the
> >> host name in the run file of qmail-smtpd.  If it is there, it will make
> >> you an open relay.  It's not part of the problem above I believe but I
> >> thought you should be made aware of it.
> >
> > actually, this is incorrect.
> >
> > the OLD patch required the hostname, and if it was absent, you were an
> > open relay.
> >
> > The new patch does not require the hostname, and if present,
> > authentication will simply fail, as is the case here.
>
> Uhh, no.  Try it yourself and check the cert.org lists.  Having the host
> name with the new patch makes you an open relay.  I'll admit I'm wrong
> sometimes but I was listed on a whack of rbls for just this case a few
> years ago.  Any signature will match and mail will be relayed.

perhaps then, we are talking about different patches.  I'm referring to the
one from Dr. Hoffman at http://fehcom.de/qmail/smtpauth.html.  I can assure
you that Dr. Hoffman's patch is NOT an open relay if you supply the hostname.

Either that or you're thinking about the OLD patch where if you do NOT supply
the hostname, you become an open relay.

With Dr. Hoffman's patch, if you supply the hostname, you get the behavior
described earlier in this thread (454 oops, unable to write pipe and I can't
auth (#4.3.0))

If you can show me a URL that contradicts this, please do, and I will stand
corrected :)

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Kitchen ++ [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In the beginning was The Word and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
  -- The Word of Bob.