Does vuserinfo return a different exit code on database failure?  If so
then you can catch this in your vpopmail_user_check.pl and thus exit
back a different code or whatever to check_delivery.  In check_delivery
you can catch that and return a DENY_SOFT instead of DENY.  This will
issue a 4xx code back to the smtp sender and thus cause then to resend
the message, that is unless it is Groupwise or a number of other broken
smtp servers which take 4xx messages as fatal.

--
Thanks,
Ed McLain