The mail server resides at a 172.16.0 net and the client machines at a 192.168.2.0 net. If I have understood the documentation correctly, vpopmail must be configured with "--enable-roaming- users" if the client machines are on a different net. Correct?

The entry in /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp is 172.16.0.:allow,RELAYCLIENT="" and I have done
qmailctl cdb
qmailctl stop
/var/vpopmail/bin/clearopensmtp
qmailctl start

Maybe I'm missing something too but shouldn't the contents of the tcp.smtp file say:
192.168.2.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
since the connections are coming FROM the 192 network?

However, since this is a qmail-smtpd generated error you may want to address questions to the qmail.org mailing list (not that any of these fine people could answer your question mind you).

Matt