MT wrote:
The mail server resides at a 172.16.0 net and the client machines at a net. If I have understood the documentation correctly, vpopmail must be configured with "--enable-roaming-users" if the client machines are on a different net. Correct?

If you have clients at static IP's like network then
use the RELAYCLIENT entry like below.

The entry in /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp is 172.16.0.:allow,RELAYCLIENT="" and I have done
qmailctl cdb
qmailctl stop
qmailctl start

Maybe I'm missing something too but shouldn't the contents of the tcp.smtp file say:
since the connections are coming FROM the 192 network?

This is what you want, the client IP addresses.

Ken Jones