Charles, you are not out of your mind.  :-)

Charles Butcher wrote:
There was a discussion on the qpsmtpd list recently that touched on this. It seems spaces are legit, but note that if one is to be compliant with the RFC then addresses must be rejected if they don't contain angle brackets. Qmail doesn't enforce this, but there are patches for it.

https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=38747

IMHO anyone expecting to use email addresses containing spaces is out of their mind, and asking for trouble, but that's just me, not the RFC :-)

C.